With the advances of technology, lasers can help with many serious conditions. To get the best results for improving the appearance of scars these are the basics for laser scar treatment.
1. Lasers can not remove the scar. Lasers can help with the appearance, but it cannot get rid of the scar as untouched skin. Realistic expectations are key for any laser treatment.
2. Lasers can help a raised scar from forming after surgery.
3. Lasers can help reduce scar pain and itch.
4. Lasers can help the appearance of a scar less noticeable.
5. The results of your treatment depend on the expertise of the clinician performing the laser treatment. Be sure to do your research for a reputable licensed medical professional.
6. A medical consultation is required before any laser treatment. It is for the patient’s safety. During your consultation disclose if you get cold sores, have any medical conditions like diabetes, smoke, or taking any medications/supplements.
7. Protecting the area from sun is critical before and after any laser treatment. The sun’s rays can be harmful prior to treatment and after during the healing process.
8. For best results, it is recommended for patients to quit smoking for at least 2 weeks before treatment, stop taking vitamin E, aspirin, and other medications/supplements that can obstruct healing. Patients need to stop using skin care products that contain a retinoid or glycolic acid for 2-4 weeks. If you are prone to developing cold sores it is recommended to take medication to prevent cold sores.
9. You may need several treatments for the best and lasting results.
10. Results take time to appear and will get better with more treatments. It may take a few months to see the results of laser scar treatment.
Thinking about improving the appearance of your scar?
If are wondering if laser can help with the appearance of your scar give us a call to schedule your consultation at 949-704-5071!